Looking for high school rewards or middle school rewards to motivate students?
Tired of finding reward ideas that are more applicable to elementary kids than your 8th, 9th, or 10th graders? No need to look any further.
As a language teacher, I’m always searching for high school incentives to get my trickier classes to speak in the target language. I incorporate several teaching strategies to get students speaking, but find that a special surprise or extra reward goes a long way towards establishing good language habits at the beginning of the year (or in the middle of the year if they’re starting to slip into English).
After scouring the Internet, I’ve compiled the Ultimate List of Reward Ideas that high school students actually love.
Hope you and your students enjoy these high school rewards and middle school rewards ideas! Grab your free printable version in the Free Resource Library.
* Extra Point on a Quiz
* Free Homework Pass
* Switch Seats with Anyone
* Sit in a Comfy Chair
* Listen to Music While You Work (With headphones or they can bring in their own music and earbuds)
* Quiz Retake
* Late Assignment Pass (For only 1 day)
* Positive Phone Call or Note Home
* Additional Computer Time
* Ask the Teacher for an Answer on a Test
* Eat a Snack in Class
* VIP for the Day
* Get Out of Class 5 Minutes Early
* Take 20% Off How Much You Have to Write for a Composition
* Extended Time for an In-Class Assignment
* Homework Assignment Cut in Half
* Remove a Late Grade Penalty from an Assignment
* Mystery Gift Bag (Put something fun in it)
* Sit on Top of Your Desk
* Charge Your Cell Phone in Any Outlet
* Sit at the Teacher’s Desk
* Switch Roles with the Teacher for 5 Min. (Teacher is a student and student is the teacher)
* Leave Me Alone Pass (Can put head on desk and not get called on or have to participate all day)
* Get a Free Pen
* Pick a Free Pencil
* Choose a Free Eraser
* 5 Minutes Late to Class Pass
* Wear Your Hat to Class
* Teacher Brings a Special Snack for You
* Help Create the Next Class Seating Chart
* Choose Your Own Seats for the Week
* Free Homework Pass
* Night without Homework
* Listen to Music While We Work
* More Computer Time
* 5 Minutes to Talk to Friends at the End of Class (In the target language)
* 10 Minutes “You Choose” Time (Put out games, books in the target language, etc.)
* Walk (Go for a stroll outside on a nice day – still speak in the target language)
* Have Class Outside
* Movie Day
* In-Class Game Day (Spend the whole day playing games)
* Late Assignment Pass (Only 1 day late)
* Class Trophy (Something cheesy and funny that they get for the week)
* End of the Quarter Potluck (Everyone makes a traditional food and brings it in to share)
* Homemade Treat from the Teacher
* In-Class Homework Time
* Play Games Outside (In the target language)
* Free Dance Party for Last 5-10 Minutes of Class
* Show Funny YouTube Videos (In the target language)
* Zumba (For the last 10-15 minutes of class)
Hope you found this list helpful!
If you have other ideas for high school rewards or middle school rewards, please share in the comments section of this post.
Get a printable version of this list in my Free Resource Library (plus lots of other good stuff).
Angie TorreOctober 10, 2017 at 12:47 pm
What great ideas! Thank you for the list!
Angie TorreOctober 11, 2017 at 11:51 am
Thanks so much! My students are probably getting sick of chocolate. 🙂
Tara BrownOctober 21, 2017 at 10:45 am
These are great ideas! Thx for sharing!
NicoleJanuary 15, 2020 at 7:11 pm
Awesome ideas! Thanks for sharing!
BobApril 16, 2019 at 5:11 pm
Great ideas thanks
Sherry SebestaAugust 15, 2019 at 5:57 pm
My pleasure! Happy to share them with you. 🙂 ~Sherry
Cristina Gomez-JimenezJanuary 8, 2020 at 11:56 am
This is perfect!! Thank you so much for sharing!!