Today, we’ll meet veteran Teacher – Laura Lee (For the Love of Spanish) who taught Spanish K-8 in private and public schools for 18 years and is currently taking a year off to create teacher resources and renovate a house.
Most Embarrassing Moment
My worst moment has to be looking down at the end of the day to see my zipper had been open since lunch.
Gold Star Teaching Moment
Anytime a student compliments you. These are words of my former 6th graders:
1. “I have improved my vocabulary by going from just “hola” and “adios” to being able to have conversations in Spanish.” -Garrett
2. “I actually know more Spanish than my older brother now.” – Lillian
3. “Every day I walk into your class and get better and better at Spanish.” – Dorian
4. “I have had a blast in Spanish this year!” – Morgan
5. Mi clase favorita es espanol!” – Melinda
Best Teacher Tip
This is really simple – I use a word search for our next unit as a cover sheet when students take a test. It’s an easy, low-stress activity that gently introduces them to new vocabulary. They don’t realize they are learning. They just think it’s fun.
Favorite Word/Expression in the Target Language
My favorite word in Spanish has to be “el sacapuntas.” It’s also fun to say Chichicastenango! My favorite expression: “Hijo de tigre, tigrito.” I use this one a lot with my Spanish-speaking 23-year-old daughter. She usually responds with an eye roll.
Favorite World Language Joke
My middle schoolers loved this one: ¿Por qué está triste el cuaderno de matemáticas? -Porque tiene muchos problemas. (Insert eye roll here.)
What You Do in Your Non-Existent Free Time
I love going out to eat at new places and writing reviews on TripAdvisor. I am a Level 5 Contributor! LOL. It is addictive.
We usually go out for Mexican food or Italian.
I like to swim, bike & run competitively (so that I can burn off all those calories!)
Any extra time would be spent chalk painting thrift store furniture.
In the fall, weekends are all about college football and tailgating in Death Valley. The real Death Valley. I’m a proud Clemson Tiger.
Thanks for sharing, Laura Lee!
* If you’re interested in being featured, fill out the Google Doc and send me a photo of yourself to firstname.lastname@example.org. https://bit.ly/TeachFeature